School bus safety
As parents, you are an important part of a continual safety program for children who travel by school bus. Learning to be safe pedestrians as well as safe riders, when on a bus is a necessity.
Have your children place everything they carry in a backpack or school bag so things won't drop along the way. Wearing bright contrasting colors allows a child to be more easily seen. Also a piece of florescent and retro reflective material attached to their backpack is an option.
Leaving home on time insures on time arrival at the bus stop, and reduces the chance of running as that can be dangerous. We ask that all students be at the bus stop 5 minutes before the scheduled pick up time.
Accompany young children to the bus stop and have older children walk in groups. There's safety in numbers because groups are easier for drivers to see. Practice good pedestrian behavior along the way:
Instruct children not to approach the bus until the driver says it's safe to enter, or the door opens. Children will be able to see the driver and the driver can see them. If crossing the street is necessary, remind them to wait for the driver to signal that it's safe to cross. They should cross the street 10 feet (5 giant steps) in front of the bus where they can see the driver and the driver can see them.
Side: 6 Feet
Front: 10 Feet
Remind your children to be good bus riders. They should :
· Talk quietly.
· Be courteous to the bus driver and follow the driver's direction.
· Keep their body inside the bus. Trees, trucks, utility poles have caused bad injuries to children hanging out the windows.
· You are responsible for your actions. Respect others' space; no touching, hitting, pinching, or action that you would not like to happen to you.
· Keep the aisle clear. If there is an emergency, a clean bus means no tripping and a safe evacuation.
· Stay seated for the entire bus ride.
Your child's safety is our priority while traveling to and from school. If we all work together to follow these rules a safe ride will be accomplished .